Too often when we think of happiness, we think of perfection. We think of the ideal life. But what if happiness is all about the simple, tiny yet beautiful moments in life?
What if happiness is about appreciating every little moment that makes us smile inside? Or every moment we feel loved, secure, and grateful?
Maybe we are all too busy focusing on perfection that we overlook the true essence of happiness.
I want to paint a new picture of happiness for you. I want to show you that happiness is not a destination to be reached but rather a continuous journey throughout life.
I want to show you exactly what happiness looks like….
- Happiness is a cute little baby refusing to let go of your finger.
- Happiness is going for a walk with the person you love, and feeling an incredible sense of love and gratefulness.
- Happiness is smiling as you watch your children playing on the playground, and you feel like a proud parent.
- Happiness is appreciating all the difficult moments in life – because you know that they shape you into a better person.
- Happiness is giving generously to others without feeling heavy inside – to give with a happy heart.
- Happiness is that moment you look up and see that there are so many people who care for you.
- Happiness is meeting up with an old friend, and feeling like nothing has changed.
- Happiness is watching the sun set and feeling overwhelmed and fascinated by its beauty.
- Happiness is feeling content with what you have – rather than always wanting more and more.
- Happiness is when you cry on your partners shoulder and they let you wipe your tears all over their shirt.
- Happiness is having dinner with your family and feeling a deep sense of belonging.
- Happiness is reflecting on yourself, and liking the person you have become.
- Happiness is drinking tea with your grandma and thinking about how wonderful she is.
- Happiness is overcoming your fears and believing in yourself.
- Happiness is laughing at your mistakes – and not taking things too seriously.
- Happiness is letting go of grudges and truly forgiving others – to be able to move on from the past.
- Happiness is sitting on the couch with your best friend, feeling excited as you’re about to watch a movie. And you think “I’m so happy to have such an amazing friend”.
- Happiness is the ability to live in the moment, and to appreciate all the tiny, yet beautiful things around you.
Happiness is right under your fingertips
Happiness is not about living the perfect life. Instead, it’s about being able to live in the moment, and to appreciate all the tiny, yet beautiful things around you, every single day.
To help you live a truly happy life, here are some simple steps you can take in your daily life.
1. Be mindful every day
Every day, try to make a conscious effort to be aware of your feelings and all the small things that make you feel happy. For example, if you feel peaceful or positive, even for just one tiny moment, then stop! Stop what you’re doing and take a few seconds to notice and appreciate the positive moment.
It’s that simple. All too often, we overlook the small, positive moments because we’re too busy waiting for something bigger and better to be happy about.
But just imagine how happy you would feel if you could live each day appreciating every positive moment, no matter how tiny it may be.
2. Set aside time each week to really appreciate
Sometimes it’s important to set aside time in our busy life to reflect on ourselves and on our life. It’s important to bring all the things that we appreciate to the surface of our minds.
Chances are, if you dig deep inside yourself or write down all the things that you are grateful for, you will be amazed at how much you actually have. I did this recently and it really put things into perspective for me. I realized that I have so much to be happy for in my life yet I so often overlook many of these things.
3. Stop Striving for perfection
True happiness is not about climbing an upward staircase where life slowly gets better and better. It’s not about reaching an ideal point in our lives where we can FINALLY be happy and where everything is the way we want it. And soon as we realize this, the happier we will be.
Striving for perfection is like striving for a hollow goal – because perfection is just not possible. We are beautifully imperfect human beings living in an imperfect world. That’s just life.
4. Strive for wholeness instead
Wholeness is all about appreciating and embracing all aspects of life – both good and bad.
It’s about realizing that life is not just a ‘bowl of cherries’ and that in order to grow and learn, we rely on the harsh realities of life.
Like mentioned above, we will never reach a place where everything is exactly the way we want it. Unforeseeable challenges are inevitable. There will always be moments when we feel hurt, scared, frustrated and even depressed.
But these things make us who we are – they make us more whole as a person. And often the most challenging experiences turn into the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences, and bring us the greatest sense joy and happiness.
Rather than waiting for perfection to come along, live each day with a grateful attitude. Try to appreciate all experiences in your life and be happy with what you have. If you do this, you will be able to stand firm every day, see the light in the darkness and live a truly happy life.
Choose to be happy today!
To live a happy life is simple!
It’s about living a life of appreciation – and not letting the negatives knock you down.
I challenge you to shift your view of what it means to be happy.
Don’t strive for an illusion of happiness where life is perfect.
Because you will only be disappointed.
Rather, take life one day at a time and learn to live in the moment.
Focus your attention on all the tiny, yet beautiful moments that happen every single day. And appreciate them!
Don’t buy into the idea that you need more before you can be happy, and rather choose to be happy today!