Did you know travel is a beneficial way to expand your mind, breathe life into your soul and ANYONE can do it?
Picture this: swapping a week of work stress, canteen food and commuting hours for a week of exploring new sites, conversations, cultures and foods. New experiences encourage our resourcefulness and add rich, vibrant material to our memory bank which can help us to recharge and return to a daily routine with new insights, feelings and inspirations.
Travel has now become affordable (see tips below) so pack your bag, choose a destination (whether it be an hour’s drive to somewhere new or a plane ride to a foreign shore) and reap the following physical and mental benefits:
- Relax and recharge from your 9 to 5 (or 23 hour day if you have kids!) of your life – it’s not hard to relinquish the stress when you have nothing but beaches and cocktails to dream about and your vitamin D levels are being organically replenished;
- Delve into yourself and discover new ways to live a meaningful life by watching the local communities, walking the streets, feel your heart race at the touch or the taste of something new and challenge and/or change old habits, or simply leave them behind so you have a fresh start when you’re back to your daily routine;
- People, people, people! Create new memories through the locals you meet, the smiles you receive and the words you hear – try to learn words of gratitude (thank you, please, bless you) and share them at home, give your friend a gesundheit when they sneeze or give amore to your partner when they are low! The communication skills you pick up along the way and the conversations you have will pop up at the oddest of times and lift your spirits on a dreary day.
Traveling on a budget? Check out a few ideas that won’t erase your savings or compromise your experience:
- Travel mid-week for the best deals and look out for promotions – some flights or bus trips can start at $20 round-trip if you land the right deal!
- Whether you drive 13 miles down the road or 13 hours in a plane, choose your destination of choice wisely – remember: a little can go a long way…
- Ever heard of WWOOF? Donate your skills to organic farms across the world in exchange for accommodation
- Check out opportunities to sleep for free in exchange for your couch to a lone traveler
- Carry food with you when traveling – you’ll save a dollar (and some time) before you reach your destination!
Look at travel as your personal growth pick-me-up and one that you can do on any budget!
You’ll be happy that you went, sorry that you have to leave (so soon!), and already looking for your next venture!