If we asked you to, would you sit down and write the lessons you’ve learned in your life so far – and make them the same number as your age? If you’re 50 and you’re reading this, could you come up with 50 life lessons (we bet you could!)? Well Karen hasn’t hit the big 5-0 yet, but even in her 27 years, she’s been able to round up 27 awesome life lessons. We found these on her blog, Dreamin’ the Life, and reprinting Karen’s top 27 for you here.
27 lessons I’ve learned in 27 years
I always want to know more. I want to learn more. I want to do better. I want to be better. I’m not progressing fast enough. But sometimes you have to stop, and look back and realize you’ve come along way. Today, June 8th, I turn 27. And I’ve come a long way.
Thanks to the inspiration from Karol, Baker, Glen, and Mary (among many others), I’m taking this opportunity to follow suit and celebrate my 27th birthday by reflecting on what I know is true.
(Note: Many of these lessons have been acquired from other sources along my journey, and are not original thoughts.)
- The first pancake always turns out badly.
- You don’t have to get along with everyone, or make everyone like you.
- Love makes you stupid.
- You always have at least 2 choices, even if you don’t like your choices.
- Sometimes even women need to learn to MTFU.
- Most people operate out of selfish motivations.
- It’s rarely about you.
- Soda is evil.
- It’s okay to break the rules, as long as you are good enough not to get caught, and you aren’t hurting anyone.
- “Be kinder than necessary ’cause everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.”
- There’s three sides to every story- his, hers, and the truth.
- Time doesn’t heal anything- it’s what you do with that time.
- Complaining and blaming other people doesn’t help anything, and makes you miserable company.
- Everything in your life is your responsibility.
- You train people how to treat you.
- There’s always hope.
- You can always be grateful for something.
- If you aren’t making mistakes, you aren’t trying hard enough.
- You never really become an adult. You just get more responsibility, and become wiser.
- Showing emotion is not a sign of weakness. Knowing when it is appropriate is a skill.
- Google can answer anything.
- Being silly is one of my favorite qualities in a person.
- Honesty is always the easiest route. Even if it’s not in the short term.
- You should never stop learning, or trying to be a better person.
- Worrying is useless, unless it motivates you to take action.
- When people show you who they are, believe them.
- There is only fear, and love. And one of them is way more fun.
So, are you willing to do what Karen’s done? We’re sure it’ll definitely be worth your while. But even if you don’t want to write down 30 or 40 or 50 or more life lessons, please do share with us your top 2 or 3 in the comments below :)